Suppression lists allow you to exclude contacts that you already own. These contacts may have come from a variety of internal or external sources but the important point is that you don't want to get them again from DemandScience Intelligence.
Suppressing a contact or a company means that it will be automatically removed from your cart at checkout. There are two types of suppression lists available to users with manager permissions. There are organization lists that suppress contacts and companies across all accounts and personal lists that suppress contacts and companies only on the individual users account. This allows each user to upload and manage their own suppression list and choose when to apply it for company searches.
- You must have Manager permissions to modify the organization suppression list. Users without Manager permissions will only be able to modify the suppression list on their own account.
- You can have separate lists for company and contact data.
Managing Suppression Lists
You manage suppression lists via the Manage > Suppression Lists panel:
If you are a manager, you will then need to select the type of suppression list you would like to upload, an organization list or a personal list before selecting 'Browse for file' and choosing the file within your computer.
If you do not have manager permissions, the Suppression Lists page will not display the options for Organization list or Personal list for search results, as indicated by the absence of text in the highlighted area below.
Uploading a new list
Before you can use a suppression list you will need to first upload it to DemandScience Intelligence. You can suppress an individual person by submitting that individuals email id OR you can suppress an entire company by putting in the company domain.
A suppression list is simply an excel spreadsheet that has one of three things in the first column:
- An email address.
- A domain name such as leadiro.com - this will suppress all contacts at that domain.
- An SHA256 hash of an email address - an advanced feature for when you don't want DemandScience Intelligence to know what the email address is you want suppressing
The formatting is important with suppression lists. Your excel file should not have blank cells in the list and if you are blocking a company you should put www.companydomain.com and not https://www.companydomain.com. Avoid https:// and general / in the domain.
You can download an example spreadsheet by clicking on the "Download a template" link within the platform.
To upload a new list:
- Create the excel spreadsheet.
- Click "Browse for File" under "Upload a new list".
- Select the excel file in the file window.
- Enter an optional name for the new list.
- Click the "Upload" button.
Your list will now upload to DemandScience Intelligence and be processed for matches. You'll see it under "Manage existing lists".
Downloading an existing list
- Click on the highlighted date next to the list in the "Manage existing lists" section.
The original spreadsheet will be downloaded for review.
Removing an existing list
Suppression Lists cannot be temporarily deactivated. They must be removed completely, by deleting them from the system.
- Click on the trash icon next to the list in the "Manage existing lists" section.
The suppression list will be removed and the contacts made available for inclusion in future orders.
Using a Suppression List when searching
You don't have to do anything special to use a suppression list. They will automatically be applied to the contacts in your cart when you checkout. We'll let you know at checkout how many contacts have been suppressed.